We are going to look at 6 different areas you need to consider before hiring an Interior Decorator or Interior Designer.
Elements of interior design will range from visual (form, lighting, and color) to things we touch (surfaces, textures, and shape) through auditory (echo and noises). The decorator will have an aesthetic, practical and overall technical appreciation for areas within your home or commercial interiors. They need to understand totally how people relate to their spaces and its individual uses, not just as an independent part but as a whole, the whole collective of spaces must connect with each other.
Decorators and interior designers need to be knowledgeable in many different types and characteristics within the home including: Home furnishings, lighting, carpeting, area rugs and other floor coverings, wall coverings, accessories, wall art, fixtures, furniture construction, general home construction and design as the interior relates to the exterior of the home.
What can you expect from an Interior Designer?
1. Work as a consultant to help determine your overall goals and objectives.
2. Think of ideas that help the functionality and aesthetic plan for space.
3. Some create visual illustrations, pictures, or show examples of what they are proposing.
4. Organize and rearrange space to suit its best functioning aspects.
5. Manage and monitor construction and installation of set design.
6. Help select products, materials, fixtures, furnishings, and colors.
7. Designing lighting program.
What is your role in the design process?
Before you even start thinking about calling an interior Designer, take some time to evaluate what you really want and what your true needs are. Think about these questions.
1. Who will be using the space you are working on?
2. What activities will be taking place within the area?
3. How long do you expect to live in the space?
4. What is an estimated time span to complete the project?
5. What kind of budget are you willing to invest?
6. What kind of image do you want to give off on the completed project?
If you are feeling a little overwhelmed? You do not have to worry. A professional design consultant will help lead you through the entire design process or through whatever part you would like them to. Keep in your mind that the more research you do up front to determine what you really want will help the whole process go quicker, and the end results will be what you were wanting.
Are written contracts important?
Yes. Contracts are important for any type of work you are going to have done. It is in your best interest to have a signed contract stating exactly what is going to be done, when it will be completed, and what the cost will be. There may be additions added to the project as it progresses, and the contract can be amended to acuminate those future changes.
How much does an Interior Designer cost?
Be honest with your designer about what kind of budget you are expecting to invest in your home décor. A truly professional interior decorator will assess your needs and will help you determine where you should spend your money by prioritizing expenses for construction (if needed), services (faux painting) and purchasing or furniture, accessories and other home décor items.
There are three ways that most designers charge for their services.
1. Hourly wage from $50 to $175 per hour- consultant.
2. By the project for managing all aspects that they are stated in the contract.
3. Charge consulting fees that are rebated if you purchase products from them. (Be careful with this form, because the design might try to sell you something they have in stock, have high-profit margins on, or place more items in your home than you really need).
After you have thought about the reasons you want an interior designer, and have come up with a general budget, and the idea of what you are looking for in your space. Ask friends who have used a designer if they were happy with the results and if they would use them again? If so, set up an interview to see if you can work together. The best way to hire one is either as a consultant or as a project manager.
After you get your plan from the interior decorator, check out the leader in home decorating products at Lifestyles Home Décor, the leader in bedroom décor, dining room décor, kitchen décor and outdoor décor to name a few.
Who is an Interior Designer?
An Interior Designer is more than just someone who helps you with the visual aspects of your space within your home. They survey the space itself, its size, volume, and construction looking at its potential and its liabilities. They will ask questions to determine if the location will be used for work or leisure, entertainment, personal retreat, etc. Then there are the practical considerations, like circulation within the room, lighting, sound acoustics, amount of seating needed and places for storage and flat surfaces for setting things down like accessories and other home décor items.